Avocado Taco Salad
At the beginning of summer we found out that my oldest was intolerant to gluten and wheat. This threw us for a loop and I knew we were headed for some big changes, which would have to primarily come from me as I do most of the cooking. Thankfully, we aren't the first to this problem and there is a ton of helpful information out there- from those that have dealt with this before us. So I took to Google and Pinterest for ideas and many have been flops. Primarily I feel like because my daughter is 6 and everything to her is "Ew," especially breads that are texturally different than what she was used to. This has been our primary issue, texture. A lot of these recipes that I found are DELICIOUS, they just didn't pass the test of my pickiest eater. And gluten free food is not cheap! Thankfully we were given this information at the end of the school year and I got to have a few months to dial in what was going to work for us. I will be sharing a few of our favorite recipes over time, but today I wanted to share our favorite salad since summer is winding down, and tacos and avocados are life. Amirite?!
Avocado Taco Salad
This is my favorite because it is super easy to throw together and it is customizable for the individual picky eaters in your family. My husband is not an avocado guy, so we just omit that for him. I also love this because it is a perfect left over meal. Maybe you have some leftover taco meat and rice from a meal a few days prior? Toss it on a salad!! Here has been my favorite ingredients for this salad:
- Taco meat of choice (I like organic grass fed beef with just salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder, & cumin)
- Mexican Rice (I do it the old fashion style in a cast iron skillet with chicken stock, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, garlic, chili powder, and cumin)
- Lettuce of choice (I like green leaf lettuce mixed with arugula)
- cherry tomatoes
- hemp hearts
- Beans of choice (I switch between whole black or pinto beans)
- Parmesan cheese
- Sriracha (or any dressing of choice. My kids eat a gluten free organic Ranch dressing)
Summer is winding down
Time to make a plan for the school year and figure out school lunches with items that my daughter will eat. Comment below with your favorite ideas!!